Thursday, April 14, 2011

Reading Wednesday v4


*Disclaimer: I have purchased all the books that I am reviewing. None of these books were given to me to review by any company. I just want to let people know what I'm reading so that maybe they will want to read these books as well.*


Reading Wednesday is now back. Cue happy dance. I finally finished Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls. It was amazing to say the least. It made me want to laugh, cry and mostly it made me appreciate the life I have.






Glass Castle is a memoir about Walls' life. In it, she tells the story of how she grew up and became the woman she is today. She tells about her siblings, the struggles they had to face, and about her drifter parents. She talks about growing up completely poor because her parents didn't believe in working, afraid the government was out to specifically prey on them. She talks about the glass castle her father made plans for, promising her almost yearly that the dream would become a reality. 


I loved the book. It was such a real look into her life growing up. It made me realize all that I do have and appreciate it for everything that it's worth. It made me laugh, it made me cry. If I met her today I would probably give her the biggest hug ever. She is such a strong woman and has come so far since her childhood. She is a true inspiration. I highly recommend this book. (and don't forget to check out my best friend Brian's guest post from a while back on the how book was a huge part of his life & still is).


I also wanted to talk about another memoir that I am so excited for. It is actually coming out tomorrow! (I will def have a reading wednesday post on it next week!) I'm not sure if I have mentioned it before, sorry if I did, but it's called Two Kisses For Maddy.


Two Kisses for Maddy was written by Matt Logelin. If you have not heard of him, he is a single father and blogger. (you can check out his blog here)


The story tells of a new father taking on the responsibility of parents alone after his wife died tragically 27 hours after giving birth to their first child. I have been following his blog for a long time now and he just writes so honestly, openly and vividly about the struggles and joys he has faced in the last three years. He has done so much in the community to give back to other widows. He has spoken at conferences, set up a foundation in the name of his wife Liz (click here) for widows and their children and just generally made an impact with his story. 


Through his blog, he also shares tons of picture of Maddy and the stories of her travels. She has seen more places in the world than I think I ever will in three short years. She is a beautiful little girl and just from reading what Matt writes about Liz, you can see her personality coming out in Madeline. 


I highly, highly recommend this book. If you have ever lost someone, or known someone that has, this is the book for you.

1 comment:

arielle elise. said...

will definitely have to check out this book! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...